Sunday, October 01, 2006

Going Public- Big Wave..Big Wave...

It took me a while but I finally went "public" with my blog. Talk about a big wave! At first I wanted to see if I had both the discipline to keep at this and something, anything, worth saying. The answers came back- somewhat and maybe. The act of thinking about what I'm thinking about and then ACTUALLY writing it down instead of just letting it run around in my head has been challenging. My thoughts seem to enjoy running around in all that empty space and it's really hard to corral them - rather like my grandsons.
Those who know me well know that I'm very good about writing letters- in my head. The problem is that they rarely make it onto paper and if they do, then the big hurdle becomes to actually make it into the mailbox. There's the whole proofreading, copy it over on the good stationary (ok, clean paper), find an envelope, find the address book, find the address - no the current address, find a stamp, remember to take the letter to the mailbox. If they make it this far they may ride around in my purse for a week or two, in which case, by the time I find it the whole thing may be outdated. Sheesh!
We were all excited when I got email, thinking this would be the answer. Fast, easy, no stamps, envelopes or addresses to keep up with. The computer wouldn't fit in my purse so that wasn't going to be an issue. Things looked promising. Unfortunately no one took the thinking thing into consideration. Email is fast. Instant Messaging is faster. I'm not fast, much less faster. I need time to consider, to reflect, to ponder, to rewrite if need be. While I'm doing all this thinking, life is moving on. By the time I'm ready to answer an email no one remembers what I'm talking about. Instant messaging is worse- everyone has signed off and I'm talking to some AOL guy who's going -HUH?
So far, blogging is better. I can take my time. I can rewrite to my heart's content. I can even edit if I need to. Yes, it's not as personal but, hey, at least it's something. Another way my kids can see that I'm still alive. (the answering machine wasn't quite cutting it- seems I don't change to message often enough- who knew?)

No comments: