Sunday, October 01, 2006

Thanks, Soldier

I frequently receive forwards from friends and relatives reminding me to pray for the soldiers who are defending our freedoms in foreign lands. I am so grateful for them because it DOES remind me to pray and not to take those freedoms for granted.

We have a young friend in the Army who is on his third deployment to the Middle East. He was in both Afghanistan and Iraq and at present is not allowed to divulge exactly where he is because that would be dangerous for him and his fellow soldiers. He has a lovely wife and 2 beautiful young children here in the states as well as his parents and sister. The phone service where he is is limited so the soldiers must stand in line to use the phone. Last time he called his parents he stood in line for 6 hours to be able to use the phone for just a few minutes, since the line behind him was still long. How he must have agonized in trying to decide who to call during those six hours.

I can't imagine what he must go through on a day to day basis but I know that it is hot and dirty and without most of the conveniences that I take for granted. I know that he must be terribly lonely for his family and that their faces and voices must haunt him in the quiet hours of the night. I know that this particular young man is depending completely on the Lord for both himself and his family while he is away. He knows how important his work is for their sakes and ours and he believes that it is exactly what God would have him do with his life at this time.

I am grateful that he does.


(Note: Actually posted on Nov 18, 2006 - I wrote this back at the beginning of Oct and saved it as a draft. For some reason I never went back and posted it. Since it was written, this particular soldier has completed his deployment and has been sent back to the states- much to the delight of his family. There are many others who continue to need our prayers and encouragement.)

No comments: