Sunday, November 23, 2008

Music Memories and a Red Velvet Hug

Today was a busy, blessed day. We had a special Thanksgiving service at our church today. The children sang, our Ladies Worship Team sang and I sang. And the roof did not fall in. Amazing.

I sang a song with the Worship Team called "How Great Is Our God". After I sat down I thought how much my voice has changed over the years. When I was in chorus in school I sang either 1st or 2nd soprano, depending on where the director needed more voices for a particular song. Today I sang on the alto side. Not truly alto, more like melody an octave lower with a few harmony notes thrown in for good measure. Kind of "also".
That thought reminded me of my dad. His standard joke was that he sang "solo"- "so low" you couldn't hear him. He was a funny guy but he was right about his singing ability. He couldn't carry a tune in a bucket with the lid nailed shut. It didn't stop him from singing, though. He just made up his own tunes. And his own words. Different every time. He was a funny guy.

After the service we had a potluck fellowship dinner. Lots of food, a chance to visit with friends, some old & some new. And dessert, where God reminded me that He knows me personally and cares about the small things in our lives.
I posted yesterday that it was my mom's birthday. What I didn't mention was that I considered making one of her favorite cakes for thanksgiving but decided not to due to time constraints this week. (the "how many people do you think you are?" consideration) Mom had two favorite cake flavors- carrot and red velvet. Since carrot is also my favorite we usually have it for my birthday, so I thought about making a red velvet cake in honor of her birthday. When I went to the dessert table today, there was a beautiful red velvet cake. What a delicious reminder of God's love & care even in the small things. It felt like a warm hug.

How great is our God.

No comments: