Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sin of Omission

If you know me or have read this post you know that I do not have a green thumb. In fact I have had very little long term success with plants. This is probably why Beloved has been eyeing me a bit strangely since February when I bought perfectly good seed packets and brought them home. And it has been nothing short of a miracle that the seeds have gone from this (in March):







To this (in May):



We have all been amazed.

Now I must say that like all new projects this one drew my attention quite regularly in the beginning. It was fun, it was novel and it was unbelievable! I actually harvested one squash and two servings of green beans as well as some herbs. Seriously amazing. Then, as happens with all of my projects, the rest of my life began to encroach upon my gardening time. It was ok for a while. We had rain almost every day and the bugs hadn’t all found the plants yet. Also being in pots there were very few weeds to contend with. I could check in every few days and it was fine.
Fast forward to this past week.

I have been busy taking care of other life necessities. We have had no rain. The temperatures have been in the nineties. All the rain we had the week before has brought out all the weeds in town. The bugs are hungry.

When I walked out to the garden this afternoon this is what I found:



This photo is deceptively green. The problem is that most of that green is grass or weeds. And all that green growth in the square pot? Yeah. Clover. Great crop, just not what I was going for. And that spindly thing in the tomato cage at the center back of the picture? That really is a tomato plant. A sad, shriveled two dollar tomato plant. (the one plant I bought instead of starting from seed)


However, on the bright side, I am growing a great crop of plastic spoons.




Gardening tips of the week:

Plants are picky about having water.

Every day, not just when you remember that they exist.

Weeds are bad whether they are in the pots or on the ground all around the pots.
Leaves are not supposed to be yellow, limp or crunchy.

They also should not have holes in them.

No comments: