Thursday, August 31, 2006

Plans

I confess, I am a planner. I like to plan. I like to organize. I like lists and 3x5 cards and bright colored sticky notes- in all sizes and shapes. My sister has suggested that the inscription on my tombstone should read: "She made a list. She had a plan." I was hoping for something a bit more profound but at least it's accurate. I enjoy organizing a multitude of details into something orderly. For me, the planning is half the fun. Lesson plans & chore charts. Parties, showers, and weddings. Vacations, wardrobe plans & packing lists. Menus & grocery lists.
>>The Daily To Do List<<

Oh, sorry, I was drifting into List Land. I love it there! Now, where was I? Oh, yes, planning. I love a good plan. I make lots of great plans. Most of them never get beyond that point. Why? Life. Pure and simple. Life comes along and rolls right over my plans as if they weren't even there. Like the waves of the ocean wiping out a giant sandcastle. Now you see it, now you don't. Doesn't matter that I spent hours on that great plan. Doesn't matter that I finally got every box in the chart filled in just the right order and perfectly color coordinated. Doesn't matter whether the things in my plan were important or not. Nope, doesn't matter. God just lets Life roll right over everything.

The interesting thing is that when I just "go with the flow", set aside my great plans and allow the Lord to take over my schedule, Life becomes an adventure. I end up going places that I would never have thought to include in my plan. I meet people that I had no idea even existed. Relationships that had lain dormant are allowed to flourish and grow. Sometimes I even get to pick up pieces of information that will be helpful in solving a current or longstanding problem.

The very things that disrupted my plan provide the opportunities to complete the best plan of all- the one God designed for my life. I end up accomplishing more than I ever dreamed and collecting more true treasures than I ever thought possible. All because I let go of my Great Plan and let God be in control.

I think I better get a sticky note.

No comments: